Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Age of Digital Music

I was listening to a podcast the other day, and I heard something that I felt was truly amazing.  It was a music podcast called "The AP Podcast"(Alternative Press), and Mike Shea was interviewing my favorite artist, Andrew McMahon from Something Corporate and Jack's Mannequin.  They were talking about the business that is behind the music, and Mike Shea asked Andrew where he buys his music from, and they ended up getting into an extremely interesting topic of how much digital music has shaped and changed the music industry.  Andrew made an amazing point: he loves the accessibility of Itunes and other digital downloading applications, but he feels that it is important to the fans to have something physical to tag onto that purchase.  For example, when Jack's Mannequin launched their latest album, all the people who purchased a digital copy of the music, also got a free photo booklet sent to them in the mail, with tons of pictures, lyrics, and notes inside.
     I happen to agree wholeheartedly.  I love that I can buy, and search for songs so easily on Itunes, but I am reluctant to go completely digital, because I think there is something special about having something physical in my hands, that little booklet inside really does mean something to me. I really truly love music, and part of the enjoyment of music, is collecting it, collecting merch from really awesome bands, going to shows.  Somehow I feel that the click of a button on my mouse and that is it doesn't quite cut it for me.  I need artists to keep working hard, not just go into a studio, produce some tracks, and through them up online.

No comments:

Post a Comment