Sunday, March 13, 2011

Just A Question

I flip the channel to find something half way decent to watch after plopping down onto the couch after a long day at work. Nothing. So, thinking, somehow it will be different if I surf through all of the channels again (hey I was tired remember?), I look one more time.  I realized that America's Next Top Model is on.  I love photography and so, I thought I could get some good insight into the workflow of fashion photography (that and hello...a girl loves some dramatic television).  I was fascinated by the show.  I loved the extravagant lifestyle the girls got to live, in that huge mansion, with the pool that they never actually swam in, and the amazing places that they got to travel.  But the more I watched, the more uncomfortable...no...unsettled, I began to feel.  I noticed the women.  They were, well...sticks.  I began to be completely confused about how modeling became what it is today.  These women didn't really look anything like the women I know, and they certainly didn't look like me. The question I found myself asking myself over and over again in my mind is...why is it that it has become attractive to be so thin that the person looks visibly unhealthy? I didn't see anything sexy about it.  I didn't see anything but, how many hours those poor girls must spend at the gym, and how calorie counting has destroyed their souls, how they live in constant fear that their career will be stripped away from them because of a piece of pepperoni pizza. Why is skinny so desired?Why is being skinny a direct relation to attractiveness? I mean, it's not like obesity has any rewards, but the overwhelming question that still rings in my mind even now is...just a question: what happened to normal?
     Maybe it was out of disgust, maybe it was out of rebellion, but just to get a little bit of normal, after all of my careful thinking and insight into the world, I called for a pizza and after eating that delicious pizza...I went to the gym. There. That was balance. It was normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment